Introduction to VISTA for Oral Plastic Surgery
Soft tissue deficiencies around teeth and implants are often first noted because of compromised aesthetics. However, such deficiencies are also associated with progressive periodontal and peri-implant attachment loss. Oral Plastic Surgery (OPS) represents reconstructive and regenerative surgical procedures dedicated to repair of inflammatory, traumatic and neoplastic oral defects. These procedures are intended to restore health, function, comfort and aesthetics. The main difference with conventional surgical procedures is that OPS conceals evidence of surgical intervention with indiscernible scar formation. Vestibular Incision Subperiosteal Tunnel Access (VISTA) is optimally suited for OPS to reconstruct and regenerate periodontal and peri-implant soft tissues. The principles on which the VISTA technique are based have been thoughtfully designed to be consistent with plastic surgical principles. This course will introduce participants to the principles of VISTA, including the rationale, details of the entire protocol and the step-by-step technique. This course will provide practical experience to be able to implement the technique for simple applications. The rationale, scientific evidence and material selection for various therapeutic approaches will be discussed.
- Case selection
- Patient and site characteristics
- Management of patient/site risks
- Anatomic considerations and risks
Applications of VISTA:
- Periodontal root coverage for the treatment of gingival recession
- Peri-implant mucosal recession coverage
- Implant placement through VISTA
- Sources of autogenous tissue
- Subepithelial connective tissue graft
- Palate vs tuberosity
- Allogenic grafts: ADM-acellular dermal matrix (Alloderm)
- Form-stable cross-linked collagen matrix (FibroGide)
- Native collagen matrix (Mucograft)
- Platelet-Rich Fibrin (PRF)
- Biology and rationale
- Solid matrix PRF
- iPRF injectable liquid PRF
- Centrifugation protocol
- VISTA rationale
- Step-by-step complete VISTA protocol for treatment of gingival recession defect
- Vestibular incision: rationale and guidelines
- Subperiosteal tunneling: rationale & technique
- Bonded suturing: rationale and technique
- Surgical anatomy
- Anatomic considerations that modify protocol:
- Maxilla vs mandible
- Anterior vs posterior
- Donor tissue harvesting and processing
- Guidelines and technique
- Prevention and management
Pre- and post-operative Care:
- Antibiotics and antiseptics
- Anti-inflammatory agents & supplements
Hands-on Workshop on customized simulated model
- Step-by-step protocol for Vestibular Incision subperiosteal tunnel access (VISTA) for the treatment of gingival recession defect
- Incision location
- Subperiosteal tunnel protocol
- Coronally anchored suturing technique
- Donor tissue harvesting: tuberosity and palate
- Biomaterial use: xenograft & allograft
- VISTA for periodontal root coverage of maxillary anterior teeth
- Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) preparation and application
This is an online on-demand course.
All participants will have access to all online course resources, which can be accessed on-demand, including:
- Lectures on background, scientific evidence and clinical case management
- Clinical videos demonstrating surgical and prosthetic protocols
- References: PDF files of publications and manuals
- Material list
Remote Asynchronous Education: Lectures and Hands-On Workshop
Participants will have access to all online educational material and can access the material on an on-demand basis.
All instruments and workshop material will be shipped to participants to allow completion of all simulated exercises at participants’ homes or offices.
Remote Live Asynchronous Education: Lecture Only
Participants will have access to all online educational material and can access the material (lectures, live surgeries and watching the hand-on exercises) on an on-demand basis.
$695 Remote Learning: Lecture + Workshop
$495 Remote Learning: Lectures Only
- 8 hours of on-demand online education that includes:
- Hands-on workshop
- Surgery demonstration
- Intro and Advanced online VISTA courses: save 20% off of combined tuition.
- Tuition for remote workshops includes two-way shipment of all supplies to allow participants to complete the workshops in their own facility.
- Live VISTA course voucher:Clinicians who participate in online format of any course will receive a voucher for 30% discount on in-person version of that course.
- VISTA ABC kit voucher: Clinicians who participate in both “Introduction” and “Advanced” courses will receive a voucher for 20% discount on VISTA-ABC kit.